Thursday, April 30, 2009

Oysters & Clams

About one year ago I decided I wanted to be a stand-up comedian, I have so far only achieved one open-mic and were it not for my geographical location (Gaziantep in SE Turkey or to be more precise a Turks Slipper) I'm sure I would be scaring the shit out of Open Mic Comedy Club managers with my begging, pleading and sexual harassment to get a spot to inflict my so far poor delivery and even more dire material on an unsuspecting (but probably not paying so they get their just desserts) audience.

Mostly I thought I was just a delusional twit but I’m beginning to believe my own hype and the combination is almost certainly a required qualification for being a comedian. What adds fuel to the fire and pisses on it at the same time is that I'm British but one quarter American, or should I say I'm American but three quarters of me is British? So I have a constant battle between "The world is your oyster" and "The world is a horrible smelly half-baked fishy clam which is sure to give you food poisoning and then you'll die...more tea vicar?", luckily (for me at least) I tend to sway towards blind optimism which judging from my first open mic I need shed-loads of the stuff.

In short, this is my comedy blog, my journey in the wonderful world of comedy, exploring other comedians, new, old, obscure and even dead and gone, and also struggling wannabes like myself. I hope you enjoy and I hope I learn a thing or two along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment